Jean McKen’s original composition “I Am Song, Je Suis Chanson” has been judged the winning submission in the prestigious song contest organized by CMEA/ACME to celebrate the organization’s 50th anniversary.
|CMEA/ACME President Ed Wasiak congratulates Jean McKen|
The song was premiered and sung by all teachers at the 2009 OMEA Con Brio Conference in November.
The lyrics can be viewed here.
Listen to the SSA version of the song featuring soloist Heather Bambrick and a choir of music educators. Hear now.
Watch video of full orchestra arrangement .
SSA, SAB, and Unison versions of the song are available for sale to schools. The cost of I Am Song is $1.50 per octavo with a minimum purchase of 10 copies. To place an order contact Jean McKen by phone at 416-476-8014 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to Buy now.
Jean McKen is donating all proceeds from the sale of the song to CMEA/ACME to create a special scholarship for young musicians. Jean says that when she was a child, it was clear that music was her calling but her family could not afford music education for her (a good instrument and lessons). Fortunately someone outside her family came through with support while she was in high school. Jean hopes that scholarships may help open up the world of music to other children in need.
SCHOLARSHIP FUND (Proceeds to date): $2419.50
“I AM SONG” Showcase Performances
- April 7, 2010: Halton Music Showcase; The Great Hall, Hamilton Place
- April 18, 2010: Conference of Independent Schools Music Festival; Roy Thompson Hall, Toronto
- May 3, 2010: Peel Music Showcase on “Music Monday”; Living Arts Centre; Mississauga
- May 18, 2010: Appleby College “Annual Arts Day”; Appleby College, Oakville
- June 18, 2010: Matthews Hall Graduation Ceremony; St. Paul’s Cathedral, London
- June 18, 2010: ‘Greenwood Day 2010′ Celebration; Greenwood College Vocal Ensemble; Toronto Convention Centre
- November 23 & 24, 2010: ’11th Annual Kids Choir’ ; The Children of St. Martha Elementary School & the Lethbridge Symphony Orchestra; Southminster United Church, Lethbridge, Alberta
- June 16, 2011: St. Clement’s Closing Ceremonies; Massey Hall, Toronto
- June 18, 2011: Albert College Baccalaureate Service; Albert College, Toronto
- June 25, 2011: Opening Ceremony of The Asian Community Games; Yip’s School Elementary Choir; York University, Toronto
- August 12, 2011: Southern Alberta Vocal Experience; Teen Program Concert Finale; University of Lethbridge, Alberta
OTHER Performances & Donations
- Whitehorse Elementary School; Whitehorse, Yukon
- Coboconk Ridgewood Public School; Coboconk, Ontario
- Britannia Public School; Mississauga, Ontario
- Donation by Heather Bambrick
- Toronto French School; Mississauga Campus, Ontario
- Montcrest School; Toronto, Ontario
- Kempenfelt Bay School; Barrie, Ontario
- Albert College; Belleville, Ontario
- Bayview Glen School; Toronto, Ontario
- The York School; Toronto, Ontario
- St. Clement’s School; Toronto, Ontario
- Trafalgar Castle School; Whitby, Ontario
- Lakefield College School; Lakefield, Ontario
- The Country Day School; King, Ontario
- Pickering College; Newmarket, Ontario
- Kingsway College School; Etobicoke, Ontario
- Havergal College; Toronto, Ontario
- Hawthorn School for Girls; North York, Ontario
- Holy Trinity School; Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Donation by Lisa Landrey
- Donation by Claire Lavoie
- Donation by Heather Brady
- Donation by Andrea Miller
- Donation by Louise Buldoc
- Donation by Marg Walsh
- Crescent School; Toronto, Ontario
- Aurora United Church; Aurora, Ontario
- Donation in Memory of Michael Fridella