1. What grades or age levels can I use Breezin’ Thru Theory with?
Breezin’ Thru Theory is designed to support the music curriculum needs of Grades 6 to 12, Advanced Placement Level 1, and to assist in the preparation of Royal Conservatory of Music theory exams (Prelim, Grade 1 and Grade 2). In some arts enriched programs/ schools there may be some Grade 4 or 5 classes who are ready to use Breezin’ Thru Theory. With 26 chapters and over 200 drills and 15 composition activities, Breezin’ Thru Theory is designed to give you maximum flexibility as a teacher. Choose what’s right for your students and program, it also allows for individualized learning – remedial or enriched.
2. What technical requirements must I have to use Breezin’ Thru Theory?
There is no software to download or install. All you need is internet access and a computer that runs Flash to access our online E-Binder and games. A printer will be necessary if you plan on using the PDF printables.
3. Who pays for the annual subscription, my students or the school?
Orders for Breezin’ Thru Theory are placed by schools, districts, home schoolers or studios. Depending on your school or situation you may choose to cover the total cost of the subscription order through your music budget, booster program, a textbook fund or an IT budget. Alternatively, you may wish to pass on the charge to your students, as you would for other school materials or supplies. It’s whatever works best for you. Either way the school places the order.
4. Can I access the E-binder/materials from home or just from school?
As a teacher you can access the online binder from any computer that has an internet connection, whether it’s from school, home or anywhere else. Just go to the Breezin’ Thru Theory website and log on with your subscriber’s password.
For students, it depends on what package was purchased. For the school Starter Package and Lab Package, student access is limited to school use only. All other subscribers have 24 hour access anywhere, any place. Compare the plans here.
5. What equipment do I need to have in my classroom or studio?
The great feature about Breezin’ Thru Theory is that you can use it with either paper or computers, it’s your choice. So in situations where you don’t have access to a lab or computers in your classroom, you can just download the drills and exercises that you want to use from the online binder to print & go. A projector and screen or interactive whiteboard is also a great way to display the online E-binder and games.
If you don’t want to use class time you can assign work for students to do at home (if you have the Performer, Studio or Homeschool packages). Students can hand in their work (that is auto-marked) and/or you can download a report that compiles their results.
6. Do I need a computer or notation software to do the composition lessons?
No. You can complete the composition activities using manuscript paper. There are however, several very good notation software products available for FREE that you can use, including Noteflight (an online product) and Finale Notepad.
7. Can I do the composition activities using GarageBand?
One of the best ways to integrate GarageBand is to have your students write their melodies using either manuscript or notation software and then play them or import them into GarageBand over a beat loop.
8. What versions of Sibelius and Finale will the drill templates work with?
If you choose to do the drills using the downloadable notation software files, they will work with Sibelius 5 and up; Finale 2008 and up; Finale Notepad 2008 and up.
9. Can I use Breezin’ Thru Theory with the iPad?
The Breezin’ Thru Theory online E-Binder and interactive games are built in Flash. The iPad doesn’t support Flash, but you can download and use Rover, the free education app that streams educational Flash content to your iPad. View the Breezin’ Thru Theory lessons and play the games on the iPad with Rover then complete the drills on a computer or with paper.
10. Can I use the SMART Board Teachers’ Companion with other types of interactive white boards?
- If you use a SMART Board, then you already have SMART Notebook software installed and so you’re all set to go. Just pop in the Breezin’ DVD and start your lesson.
- If you use another brand of Interactive Whiteboard (eg. Promethean, Mimio etc), simply download this free SMART Notebook Interactive Viewer on your computer and then you’re all set to go. When you’re ready to start your lessons, pop in your Breezin’ DVD, open the SMART Notebook Interactive Viewer Software and select a chapter from 1-7.